Can Apple Cider Vinegar Heal Your Gut
ACV is naturally acidic, and so for people with low stomach acidity, using ACV may help raise stomach acid levels to aid digestion. In theory, this could prevent gas and bloating, which a slow digestion can cause. ACV is also an antimicrobial substance, meaning it may help kill bacteria in the stomach or intestines.
Apple Cider Vinegar For Acid Reflux Gerd And Heartburn
Home remedies often serve the purpose of healing digestive problems and are fairly effective most of the time. Among them, apple cider vinegar has been rapidly gaining popularity. Previously known for its role in diabetic treatments and weight loss, ACV may also be capable of dealing with gastrointestinal dysfunctions. But, does it work?
Other Natural Remedies For Acid Reflux
You may be on the opposing side of the argument in this apple cider vinegar for acid reflux debate. Thatâs alright because weâve got you covered with a few other natural home remedies. Try making these basic lifestyle changes as precautionary measures to avoid digestive discomfort.
- Quit Tobacco if you havenât already. Studies show tobacco and smoking are some of the most prevalent factors contributing to acid reflux and GERD.
- Avoid Trigger Foods. Many researchers have pointed out certain foods that ultimately contribute to acid reflux. Caffeine, meat, chocolates, and alcohol are good foods to avoid if youâre having stomach problems.
- Change your food habits. Practice eating small amounts of food at a time and chewing each bite properly. Moreover, never lay down immediately after a large meal as it triggers the food to rise back from the esophagus.
- Position yourself high. As gravity can greatly help control reflux, laying down on elevated surfaces is suggested. Place a triangular wedge beneath the bed so that the esophagus always remains above the stomach.
- Lose weight to achieve a healthy body. Excess body fat can pressurize the stomach to work twice as hard, which can easily lead to acid reflux.
Also Check: What Is The Main Cause Of Heartburn
Acid Reflux Vs Indigestion
Indigestion is no disease or symptom. It is a sign of a problem building up in your digestive system, like acid reflux or GERD. Indigestion causes a feeling of discomfort in the upper abdomen, sometimes accompanied by recurrent pain. Unless the pain is frequent and intolerable, simple changes in the diet can cure indigestion.
Where Does Thisinformation Come From
As I wroteabove, my reader found the misleading information online that lemons arealkaline. Why did she find this wrong information?
There aredifferent criteria to rate the acidity of foods:
- The actual pH of food before beingdigested. This is the pH of the food inside the mouth, or while beingswallowed.
- A foods ability to create acids orbases . Foods may form acids and bases duringthe digestive process, independent of their actual pH. For this reason, somesources suggest that eating alkali-forming foods is supposed to help to maintaina healthy acid-base balance inside the body.
For someconditions, such as rheumatism, too much acidity inside the body might be aproblem. Because I am not a rheumatism expert, I am not able to judge if thisis indeed the case. In general, though, the body can keep the pH constant, andtherefore, following a so-called alkaline diet does not appear to offer anybenefit for healthy people.
Recommending foods for silent reflux based on their alkali-forming abilityis dangerous.
The problem is that many foods with a low pH happen to be alkali-formingfoods.
Lemon juice and apple cider vinegar are two good examples of this. Bothare alkali-forming foods but have a low pH. This means that they are acidicwhile drinking them and so can reactivate previously refluxed pepsin in thethroat and mouth, so damaging the mucous membranes.
Otolaryngol PolMed Arch
Don’t Miss: What To Take To Prevent Heartburn
How To Test For Low Stomach Acid
On an empty stomach, take a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar diluted in water.
- If you feel an immediate strong burning sensation, your stomach acid is high. To help reverse the burning sensation, mix some baking soda into a glass of water and drink it. The alkalinity of the baking soda will help neutralize the acid.
- If you feel a mild warming sensation, your stomach acid is good.
- If you dont feel any warming sensation, you may have a low level of stomach acid. You can increase the amount of apple cider vinegar in increments of 1 teaspoon until you begin to feel a mild warming sensation. Some individuals supplement with as much as 1 or 2 tablespoons for better digestion.
Ultimately, the more vinegar you need to take to feel a mild warming sensation, the lower your stomach acid level.
May Help Manage Blood Sugar
Ever noticed how after you eat a carb- or sugar-heavy meal, you have a midday energy crash? That may be caused by a spike in blood sugar while eating, and a subsequent crash later on. Well, ACV may be able to help stabilize those levels.
A study published in the Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics found people who supplemented with ACV after eating a high glycemic meal had lower post-meal blood sugar levels than those who didn’t.
Also Check: What To Do For Constant Heartburn
How Does Apple Cider Vinegar Aid In Treating Heartburn
A 2016 study by Arizona State University graduate students found that raw or unfiltered apple cider vinegar can prevent heartburn. But more research is needed to determine whether apple cider vinegar is a consistent and reputable way to treat acid reflux .
The acetic acid found in apple cider vinegar can provide relief from heartburn.
Sometimes, the stomach may not have enough acid or you may eat foods low in acidity, resulting in heartburn. The acetic acid in apple cider vinegar is a weaker acid than the hydrochloric acid naturally found in the stomach, and this acetic acid helps lower stomach acidity without compromising digestion.
Apple cider vinegar also improves the tone of the lower esophageal sphincter. A weak sphincter would let stomach acids pass into the esophagus.
Also, though acidic in nature, apple cider vinegar has an alkalizing effect in your body, which is important for proper digestion. Plus, it contains pectin, which is a water-soluble fiber that helps regulate bowel movements. A healthy digestive system can prevent digestive problems like indigestion, gas, bloating, stomach aches and heartburn.
Apple cider vinegar also controls weight gain, which is one of the risk factors for heartburn. The acetic acid in it prevents the accumulation of body fat. Also, it may activate certain genes involved in breaking down fats.
Apart from boosting your metabolism, apple cider vinegar also curbs fat storage.
Should I Take Apple Cider Vinegar Gummies
You may have heard that you must swallow plain, liquid apple cider vinegar, as the bitterness triggers a response in the nerves serving our digestive systems. However, many of its benefits come from the presence of acetic acid. You take in acetic acid regardless of whether you drink a shot straight from the bottle, or chew on apple cider vinegar gummies. ACV gummies are the friendlier option if you suffer from heartburn or simply cannot stand the bitter, strong taste of the vinegar on its own. Rejuvences Apple Cider Vinegar Gummies, for example, are easier and more delicious to chew on than plain tablets or vinegar.
Overall, evidence-backed apple cider vinegar benefits include weight loss, better blood sugar control, and antimicrobial properties, all thanks to acetic acid. As these are direct effects of acetic acid that dont rely on you tasting the bitterness, you can reach for the ACV gummies if you cant tolerate the vinegars bitter flavour.
Don’t Miss: Best Thing To Get Rid Of Heartburn
Vinegar For Heartburn Relief
Heartburn is a condition caused by acid reflux where the acid from the stomach backs up into the esophagus tract causing irritation and burning sensation around the affected area. One of the most common reasons for heartburn is the weakened esophageal sphincter muscle where contraction may become loose thereby causing acid reflux. This condition is known as GastroEsophageal Reflux Disease . Read about 3 simple tips on how to get rid of heartburn here. Although there are many home remedies available for heartburn, one of the most widely believed cures that work is by taking vinegar for heartburn.
Potential Side Effects Of Acv
It’s one thing to include ACV in a salad dressing. It’s another to drink it straight or to apply it to your skin. There are some risks of apple cider vinegar, including:
- Damage to enamel: The acid in apple cider vinegar may lead to the erosion of tooth enamel, according to the American Dental Association. The organization recommends against using vinegar as a teeth-whitener.
- Throat irritation: The acidity of ACV can also lead to throat irritation if you drink a lot of it or consume it frequently, per the Mayo Clinic.
- Low potassium levels: Taking ACV has the potential to lower potassium levels, according to Northwell Health. That can also happen as the result of interactions with supplements or medications, per the Mayo Clinic.
- Skin irritation: Placing apple cider vinegar directly on the skin can lead to burns, per the NCPC. And, as seen above, it can also cause irritation when applied directly to the skin.
You May Like: I Get Heartburn All The Time
Apple Cider Vinegar And Baking Soda
If you add baking soda to ACV, it helps neutralize the acid to only 7.0. If not, the acidity will lead to dental sensitivity and finally enamel erosion. When mixing ACV, baking soda and water, you can gain an effective home treatment for acid reflux.
- Mix 2 tbsp of ACV, ¼ tsp of baking soda and 250mg of water
- Stir them well and consume it twice to thrice per day on your empty stomach for about 5 days or more
- In severe cases, you can mix 2 tbsp of ACV and 2 tbsp of baking soda in a glass of water. Drink twice or thrice per day
- Repeat for a better result
Warnings And Precautions
When using apple cider vinegar for heartburn, some people might experience side effects which are:
- Tooth erosion
- Blood thinning
- Reduced potassium
You had better consume a small amount of ACV and it should be diluted with fresh water. The solution should relieve burning sensation associated by the acid within the ACV.
To avoid the damage towards enamel on your teeth, you should use a straw to drink the solution. Consult a doctor if your heartburn symptoms do not improve or worsen overtime of using.
- ACV might interact with some types of medications, such as laxatives, diuretics, heart disease medications
- You should not use ACV in case you have an ulcer as it may aggravate your symptoms
- Consuming ACV, even when diluted in water, could also wear down the teeth enamel.
Wait Apple Cider Vinegar For Acid Reflux
This just doesnt compute. How can an item thats so acidic possibly help ones acid reflux symptoms? After all, acidic foods are usually on the no-no list for people with heartburn. So, how can drinking apple cider vinegar be one of the natural remedies for acid reflux?
Well, lets get this out of the way first. There isnt any medical research published to support the use of apple cider vinegar for acid reflux, so all we have are theories. And, as always, check with your doctor before trying any natural remedies for acid reflux.
Read Also: What Can You Eat To Prevent Heartburn
Is It Just Heartburn Or Gerd
Frequent heartburn can be a major issue. If you experience heartburn two or more times a week, you may have gastroesophageal reflux disease .
In this chronic condition, frequent exposure to stomach acid irritates and damages the esophagus. Over time, that can lead to problems such as difficulty swallowing. An estimated 40 percent of Americans report symptoms of GERD but the condition can significantly improve with lifestyle changes.
If you’ve tried home remedies and lifestyle adjustments and still have frequent heartburn, consult with your family doctor or a gastroenterologist. There are multiple treatments that can help, including medications and minimally invasive surgery for acid reflux.
Apple Cider Vinegar Benefits For Controlling Blood Sugar
Diabetes and metabolic syndrome are sadly extremely common in todays world, and prevention is far better than any treatment. Apple cider vinegar may be helpful in these situations by restoring blood sugar control and insulin sensitivity, long before any issue turns into clinical diabetes.
A clinical trial including people with and without diabetes tested the benefits of 20mL of apple cider vinegar after eating a high-carbohydrate meal. Compared to the placebo, apple cider vinegar increased insulin sensitivity by 34% in people without diabetes, and by 19% in volunteers who did have diabetes. In cases of insulin resistance, both blood sugar and insulin levels rise higher after meals. This is because the body is trying to achieve a response to insulin by pumping out more of the hormone.
Besides ramping up AMPK gene activity, the acetic acid in apple cider vinegar may also slow the absorption of sugar into the bloodstream, by slowing carbohydrate digestion. A lower peak in blood sugar means that your insulin pathways are not burnt out, and can instead recover to a healthier level of function.
Read Also: How Does One Get Heartburn
Medical Resources Used For This Article
- Is Apple Cider Vinegar Good for Acid Reflux? by Maged Rizk, MD, Cleveland Clinic,
- Apple Cider Vinegar Benefits for Acid Reflux, Jonathan E. Aviv, M.D., FACS, Acid Reflux Center Guide, Livestrong,
- Can You Use Apple Cider Vinegar to Treat Acid Reflux?, by Annette McDermott and reviewed by Deborah Weatherspoon, Ph.D., MSN, CRNA, COI, Healthline,
- Was this article Helpful ?
So Why Can Acv Help Mild Heartburn
When you have heartburn, the acid in your stomach travels up through your esophagus and irritates it, causing that burning, tight feeling in your chest.
Apple cider vinegar is a moderate acid that could theoretically bring down the pH of your stomach. Then, the stomach doesnt have to make its own acid, Farhadi explains. In a sense, by providing a mild acid, youre stopping the stomach acid trigger.
Heres the thing: This doesnt work for everyone and in some people, using ACV will make your heartburn even worse. If youre having significant reflux and a lot of irritation, ACV going over your esophagus can irritate it, prompting those intense heartburn symptoms. Apple cider vinegar may be helpful in mild cases, but it definitely doesnt in moderate to severe reflux, Farhadi says.
If youve got a serious heartburn problem going on, its best to try OTC heartburn medications and, if that doesnt help, see your doctor, Farhadi says.
But if you tend to just have a little heartburn after going to town on wasabi peas, guzzling a huge black coffee, or downing a glass of OJ, you can try adding a little ACV to your routine and see where that gets you. Farhadi recommends taking it on an empty stomach , and having a teaspoon or so of ACV diluted in half a cup of water.
If it helps, great! If it doesnt do jack or it feels like your heartburn is getting worse, its time to try some medication or see your doctor.
Recommended Reading: What’s Good To Relieve Heartburn
Why I Don’t Recommend Baking Soda For Acid Reflux
Many people use of a spoonful of baking soda in water for heartburn relief, but there are a couple reasons I didn’t include it.
First off, baking soda is very high in sodium, so taking an entire spoonful of it could be a problem for some people.
Second, and more importantly, adding baking soda to an already over-full stomach can cause the stomach to explode no joke.
This is really rare, because you really need to have a lot of pressure build up, but here’s an example from The New York Times, In Rare Cases of Indigestion, Baking Soda May Be a Peril:
I nearly died after taking this stuff, said William Graves, who suffered a rupture through the wall of his stomach in 1979 after taking baking soda mixed in water for indigestion after a big meal.
The 64-year-old resident of Bethesda, Md., who is editor of National Geographic Magazine, said that only emergency surgery saved his life and that six more operations were needed to repair the damage.
He said the incident occurred while he was on vacation after an evening when he consumed two vodka martinis, a bowl of chili with corn chips on the side, a salad, corn bread, a glass of red wine, cookies and an after-dinner brandy.
Soon after going to bed, he awakened with indigestion and mixed a teaspoon of baking soda with a small amount of water. Less than a minute after drinking it, he said, he collapsed in agony when a two-and-a-half-inch rupture occurred in the inner curve of his stomach.
Baking Soda And Unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar
Drinking the mixture of baking soda and ACV is a wonderful way of using apple cider vinegar for acid reflux.
How to use?
- Add 1/4th teaspoon of baking soda powder to 2-3 tablespoons of unfiltered apple cider vinegar to make a solution
- Add the solution to a glass of lukewarm water with gentle stirring
- Drink the solution of baking soda and apple cider vinegar for acid reflux cure on an empty stomach every morning
- Follow this on a daily basis for the natural cure of acid reflux
Benefits of using baking soda and unfiltered apple cider vinegar for acid reflux
The combination of finely powdered baking soda and unfiltered ACV is an effective remedy to treat acid reflux. The blend acts as an effective antacid agent to neutralize the corrosive nature of bile juice and digestive acids. The baking soda aids in the neutralization of acidic nature of apple cider vinegar as well and thereby prevent it from corroding the enamel of the teeth.
Make sure that your digestive tract is not allergic to ACV and do not consume the vinegar in excess.
Also Check: Home Remedies To Prevent Heartburn