Foods That Fight Acid Reflux
For anyone with acid reflux, it’s probably no shock to learn that what we eat can have a significant impact on your likelihood of suffering from heartburn. Traditionally, patients have been advised to avoid acidic foods and drinks like tomatoes, citrus fruits, and coffee. It’s believed that eating these foods may increase the acidity of the stomach and therefore the acidity of the contents that come in contact with the throat, exacerbating pain symptoms. Limiting these foods will not prevent acid reflux, but they may diminish the pain it causes by decreasing the acidity of the bile. In general, alcohol, peppermint, spicy food, chocolate, and fatty foods are thought to trigger heartburn symptoms and should be avoided.
Conversely, some researchers argue that eating acidic foods may actually be beneficial for those suffering from acid reflux and even recommend taking HCL, which is stomach acid. The consumption of acidic foods or HCL supplements may signal the body to slow production of hydrochloric acid, thereby decreasing the acidity levels of the stomach and acid reflux. One study found that the consumption of acidic foods successfully decreased the incidence of heartburn when coupled with a low-carbohydrate diet.
Other Lesser Known Ppi Side Effects
Stomach acid is also required for proper protein digestion as well. Think about it. You are trying to block acid, but the blocking of acid causes indigestion. Yikes.
Types Of Natural Antacids Including Homemade Antacids
What are the types of natural alternatives to antacids that you can use to treat acid reflux pain and discomfort? Here are a few remedies that have an antacid effect that many people have found effective.
- Yogurt as a natural antacid. Raw, natural yogurt contains healthy bacteria that can improve your digestive health. Doctors say that the beneficial enzymes in raw yogurt help to improve the microflora of the gut. Yogurt is also a good source of calcium which has been connected with improvement in reflux symptoms.
- Baking soda. Baking soda is a tried and tested method to relieve reflux symptoms and stop a burning feeling in your chest. Baking soda neutralizes stomach acid to prevent heartburn pain and discomfort.
- Ginger. Ginger is a natural anti-inflammatory ingredient that can help to boost your digestion and stop indigestion. Doctors from Harvard Health say that ginger has been used for centuries as a natural heartburn remedy.4
- Aloe vera. Another natural soothing remedy that can be used as a burning throat remedy is aloe vera. Aloe vera juice not only helps to relieve irritation in your food pipe, it can improve your digestion and help your stomach work better.
- Apple cider vinegar. One natural remedy you can drink for heartburn is diluted apple cider vinegar. Apple cider vinegar also contains probiotics, and there is anecdotal evidence that regularly drinking apple cider vinegar can help to reduce heartburn symptoms.
Don’t Miss: How To Get Rid Of Heartburn Fast Home Remedies
Eat Bigger Meals Earlier
Even having a small snack before bed can cause symptoms such as acid reflux to flare up overnight. This is partly due to the change in posture that occurs while the body is still trying to digest.
To avoid this, a person could have their main meal at lunchtime and enjoy a lighter meal at dinnertime.
A person can also try having dinner early rather than right before bedtime. This way, the body has more time to digest the food.
Best Probiotics For Acid Reflux: A Quick Overview
Dont have time to read the whole post? Here are the top recommended probiotic brands for acid reflux:
- Garden of Life Dr. Formulated Probiotics Platinum Series Immune+ 90 billion CFUs of strains that may benefit gut health, including acid reflux, including Lactobacillus gasseri. Formulated by Dr. Perlmutter.
- Hyperbiotics PRO-15 Probiotics 15 strains and15 billion CFUs with Lactobacillus gasseri.
- NOW Supplements, Clinical GI Probiotic strain verified Bifidobacterium lactis HN019 with 20 billion CFUs
- NewRhythm Probiotics time-release with 20 strains and 20 billion CFUs, features Lactobacillus gasseri.
- DrFormulas Nexabiotic contains 5 of the 8 researched strains for acid reflux and 17.25 billion CFUs.
- Lifted Naturals Probiotics best for people with histamine intolerance, contains 30 billion CFUs.
- BioGaia Protectis Probiotics Drops best for babies and small children.
Also Check: Heartburn And Indigestion After Eating
Managing Acid Reflux During Sleep Time
Leaving a longer gap between a meal and going to bed gives the body more time to digest the food. Sitting up also helps the body digest food properly.
The proper digestion of food can decrease the likelihood of acid reflux. People experiencing acid reflux during sleep time should aim to eat their last meal at least
- a burning sensation
- a feeling of having a lump in the throat
Treatments to address the root cause of acid reflux will be the most effective in alleviating associated symptoms, such as a sore throat.
So Which Works Best For Heartburn
All of these over-the-counter medicines, to a varying degree, can relieve the symptoms of heartburn. If you have more severe heartburn symptoms that these medications don’t relieve, or if you’ve been using these medicines for more than 2 weeks, call your doctor. You may need a stronger prescription medicine and tests to see what’s causing your symptoms.
Recommended Reading: What Can I Eat To Avoid Heartburn
Do Herbal Heartburn Remedies Work
There isn’t much research into herbal remedies for heartburn. Most of the research has centered on a product called Iberogast. It is made with 9 different herbs, including:
- Milk thistle
Some studies have shown that Iberogast may reduce heartburn. It’s not clear, however, which herb in the mix relieves symptoms. Plus, peppermint oil can actually worsen heartburn, so it’s not a good idea to take it if you have GERD.
Kuzdu And Apple Juice
Dr. Elizabeth Trattner, an integrative medicine specialist who draws upon the principles of Traditional Chinese Medicine in her work, notes that one of her favorite remedies is kudzu and apple juice. Kudzu is a common remedy from Chinese Medicine, linked in one 2006 study in the China Journal of Chinese Materia Medica to protective effects of stress-induced gastric mucosal injury.
I have patients mix a packet of kudzu with a 32 oz. bottle unfiltered apple juice in a pot, she says. The apple juice contains pectin, which boosts digestion by binding to cholesterol in the gastrointestinal tract. Stir the mixture with a wooden spoon until it sets up, and take a spoonful as needed.
Also Check: Home Remedies To Get Rid Of Heartburn Fast
Best Probiotics For Acid Reflux Brands
I highlighted the probiotics in the ingredients that have research to support their use for gastric acid reflux for your convenience.
Here are a few good probiotic options that meet all of the quality criteria:
- Garden of Life Dr. Formulated Probiotics Platinum Series Immune+90 Billion CFU Guaranteed, formulated by Dr. Perlmutter. Contains the key probiotics lactobacillus gasseri, lactobacillus rhamnosus, bifidobacterium bifidum, bifidobacterium lactis, and 12 other beneficial strains. This is the highest-rated probiotic on the market and the most concentrated.
- Hyperbiotics PRO-15 Probioticswith 15 strains of probiotics and 15 billion CFU, contains 5 of the 8 researched strains for relieving acid reflux. Contains 60 time-release pearls with Lactobacillus acidophilus, Bifidobacterium infantis, Bifidobacterium longum, Lactobacillus rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium lactis, Lactobacillus reuteri, Lactobacillus salivarius, Lactobacillus paracasei, Lactobacillus gasseri, Bifidobacterium bifidum, and Streptococcus thermophilus.
- NewRhythm Probiotics 50 Billion CFUs and 20 Strains, with 60 vegetarian capsules per bottle, contains Lactobacillus acidophilus, L. rhamnosus, L. crispatus, L. reuteri, L. casei, L. salivarius, L. gasseri, B. lactis, Pediococcus pentasaceus, B. breve, B. adolescentis, B. infantis, B. longum, L. lactis, Pedicoccus acidilactici, S. thermophiles. Also contains a prebiotic fiber blend.
Histamine-free probiotic for reflux
The Best Probiotics For Acid Reflux In 2021
When it comes to the best probiotic for acid reflux, the strains of bacteria used in these probiotic supplements matter.
Probiotics for acid reflux are relatively new on the scene, but new research shows that certain types of beneficial bacteria may help with many aspects of digestive health, including reflux and heartburn.
To date, 8 major strains of probiotics have been studied for use in acid reflux, and I will review those for you here along with brands that have these strains and also are high-quality brands of probiotics.
I will also review the potential benefits of probiotics in gastroesophageal reflux disease.
This post contains affiliate links. Visit the disclosure page for more information.
Recommended Reading: Good Foods To Eat If You Have Heartburn
Overuse Of Stomach Prescriptions
A common way to treat acid reflux is by using stomach acid blockers called proton pump inhibitors . The function of these drugs is to block stomach acid.
A recent analysis showed that over 80% of patients given the medicines in the category called proton pump inhibitors had no valid indication for use. The use of these drugs is now linked to an increased risk of serious infections, memory loss, and more.
PPIs are sometimes needed and beneficial. Keep in mind, they are indicated for short-term use.
Yet people stay on them for years, even decades.
Many people recover and feel so much better if they choose to add in natural treatments for heartburn such as probiotics whenever possible. They absorb their food better and have more energy as well.
How Do Probiotics Help Acid Reflux
14 clinical studies have evaluated the effects of probiotics on acid reflux and 79 percent of these studies concluded that probiotics may be a beneficial add-on for people who suffer from heartburn and reflux symptoms.
Both single-strain probiotics and multi-strain probiotics seem to be helpful for acid reflux and functional dyspepsia according to research.
Don’t Miss: Can A Hernia Cause Heartburn
Best All Natural Digestive Supplement For Ibs Irritable Bowel Syndrome Stomach Bloating Gas Diarrhea Heartburn Acid
IMPROVE & STABILIZE YOUR DIGESTIVE SYSTEM. Defend against stomach bloating, flatulence gas, explosive diarrhea, painful stomach upset, constipation, excessive burping belching sour stomach and poor digestion.RELIEF FROM PROBLEMS CAUSED BY PAINFUL SYMPTOMS. Problems caused by those painful symptoms including IBS Irritable bowel syndrome, Acid Reflux GERD, Gastritis and Crohns Disease.INCREASE YOUR ENERGY LEVEL. Fatigue and irritability are often a result of poor vitamin and nutrient absorption. RezVera Stomach Protection breaks down the proteins & carbs for complete absorption. You will feel more energetic and happier throughout the day.
Amazon.com Price: $49.97 & FREE Shipping.
Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
RezVera The Gold Standard of Digestive Supplement
Our product is formulated with 18 totally natural digestive enzymes to help you break down proteins, fats & carbs for complete digestion and easier stress-free elimination.
Defend against stomach bloating, flatulence gas, explosive diarrhea, painful stomach upset, constipation, excessive burping belching sour stomach and poor digestion.
RELIEF FROM PROBLEMS CAUSED BY PAINFUL SYMPTOMS. Problems caused by those painful symptoms including IBS Irritable bowel syndrome, Acid Reflux GERD, Gastritis and Crohns Disease.
Eat A Banana Or An Apple
Bananas contain natural antacids that can act as a buffer against acid reflux. If you want to try out the simplest home remedies for heartburn first, try letting a few bananas ripen up nicely and eating one every day. Another option is to try an apple a day. Slice one up and eat it a couple of hours before bedtime to relieve or prevent discomfort.
Also Check: Cure For Heartburn During Pregnancy
Lifestyle Modifications For Heartburn Relief
- Heres a quick and easy heartburn-reducing trick: Raise the head of your bed a few inches so your feet are lower than your head while sleeping. You can do this with a specially designed pillow, or you may need a handyman to install a small platform that raises the top of your bed a few inches. According to patients who have tried this, it works instantly. Just keeping your head elevated prevents stomach acid from slipping through the LES while youre lying down.
- Losing a few pounds or more can reduce LES dysfunction and ease heartburn symptoms.
- Stop eating three to four hours before bedtime. Going to sleep with a full stomach makes heartburn more likely, so skip the late night snacks. If youre hungry, try drinking a cup of warm water. Often times, hunger is mistaken for thirst.
- Consider the possibility of a food allergy or sensitivity. Typically, foods that cause heartburn tend to be fatty , spicy, or acidic . However, many patients find their own problem foods by keeping track of what they eat. Just record meals and snacks in a small notebook and mark days when heartburn occurs. If you notice a pattern, such as heartburn following eating chocolate for example, then you know to go easy on that particular food.
Finding Heartburn Relief At Home
A few simple strategies can help soothe the burn of heartburn:
- Watch what you eat. Avoid specific foods that trigger your heartburn, but also watch out for peppermint, caffeine, sodas, chocolate, citrus fruits and juices, tomatoes, onions, and high-fat foods. Eat more fiber to keep your digestive tract moving and healthy. Also, reduce your portion sizes. Try eating five or six small meals a day, rather than three big ones. Eating too much at once is a big heartburn trigger.
- Watch when you eat. Push away the plate at least two or three hours before bedtime so your stomach has a chance to empty before you lie down.
- Watch how you eat. Eat slowly, taking smaller bites.
- Lose weight. Excess abdominal fat can press against the stomach, forcing acids up into the esophagus. Follow a diet and exercise program to shed extra pounds.
- Keep a diary. Write down what you’ve eaten and when your heartburn symptoms occur so you can pinpoint which foods are your triggers and avoid them.
- Toss the cigarettes.Smoking can reduce the effectiveness of the muscle that keeps acids in the stomach. For this, and so many other health reasons, it’s always the perfect time to quit.
- Loosen your belt. Ditch the skin-tight jeans. Tight clothes put added pressure on the abdomen.
- Tilt up. Put wood blocks under your bed to raise the head about 6 inches. Don’t bother raising your pillows, though — it’s not effective for heartburn.
Also Check: What Does It Mean When You Have Heartburn A Lot
Home Remedies For Heartburn Slippery Elm
For many centuries, slippery elm has been used to treat many diseases including heartburn. It will help your mucus lining in the stomach to thicken therefore, it can create the effective barrier against the acid. If you want to implement this remedy, you ought to prepare:
- Slippery elm powder
Here is the recipe you can follow:
- Take a teaspoon of slippery elm powder
- Add to a cup of hot water
- Let it cool
- Drink it 2 or 3 times during a day daily after meals or before bedtime till your heartburn is taken away.
Besides, you also take slippery elm capsules every day. And each day, we take them 3 or 4 times. Remember that you just need to take the capsules with a full glass of water in about 1 or 2 months.
9. Home Remedies For Heartburn Cabbage Juice
One of the effective home remedies for heartburn is cabbage juice. Cabbage juice contains anti-inflammatory properties which can alleviate several types of digestive problems which include heartburn. Thus, before doing this remedy, you need to prepare these things:
Now lets do this remedy:
- Take a fresh cabbage and two carrots
- Grind them in a blender in order to take the juice
- Drink one and a half cup of the juice only in the morning when there is nothing on your stomach. You can do this daily until you dont have heartburn anymore.
10. Home Remedies For Heartburn Cinnamon
- Add a teaspoon of cinnamon into a cup of boiling water
- Allow it to steep
- Drink it twice daily until your heartburn is gone.
- Peppermint oil
- Cold water
How To Get Rid Of Acid Reflux Before It Starts
If you suffer from acid reflux, you likely know there are many modifiable lifestyle factors that can help you manage and prevent the uncomfortable symptoms. For starters, maintaining a healthy weight and not smoking can greatly decrease your risk of acid reflux and improve overall health. There are also a number of other strategies that may help prevent the onset of acid reflux:
Read Also: How To Avoid Heartburn And Acid Reflux