What Is Acid Reflux
Normally, when you eat or drink, food travels down your esophagus to a muscle known as the esophageal sphincter, which opens to let food into your stomach.
- Pain or burning feeling in your chest
- Pain or discomfort in your throat
- Regurgitation of acidic liquid into your mouth or throat
- Eating an especially large meal
- Eating late at night
- Certain foods or drinks like spicy food, fried food, alcohol, or coffee
- Smoking cigarettes
“Lifestyle changes are the first treatment if the acid reflux is bothersome,” says Jacqueline Wolf, MD, a gastroenterologist and professor at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center. This may involve avoiding some of the causes listed above, but there are also several proven at-home treatments to help control acid reflux.
Foods That Help Heartburn
If you want to know how to get rid of heartburn during pregnancy fast, one of the best ways is to look at what youre eating.
A good rule of thumb is to stick to whole foods, including plenty of fruits and vegetables.
Try to avoid processed foods and cook at home so you can control the ingredients.
Heres a list of foods that help heartburn.
Ways To Quell The Fire Of Heartburn
Heartburn is a common problem. It’s caused by the backwash of stomach acid into the esophagus, the tube connecting the mouth and stomach. This is formally called gastroesophageal reflux disease . More than just a minor discomfort, heartburn can significantly reduce quality of life. “Heartburn can cause damage to the esophagus and even increase the risk of cancer if ignored and untreated,” says Dr. William Kormos, editor in chief of Harvard Men’s Health Watch and a primary care physician at Massachusetts General Hospital.
These eight steps can help ease heartburn.
Recommended Reading: Best Remedy For Heartburn During Pregnancy
Does Pickle Juice Help Heartburn
People who find heartburn relief from apple cider vinegar or lemon juice may find pickle juice is another option. In addition to its natural acidity, the juice from homemade pickles contains Lactobacillus bacteria, a probiotic that forms in the skin of the pickle when it ferments. The gut-healthy bacteria can sometimes be removed during commercial processing, so make your own pickles if possible.
Are There Any Other Natural Treatments For Heartburn
Melatonin, a supplement used to aid sleep, has been suggested to help relieve heartburn. But the research is conflicting as to whether it is effective for this or any other gastrointestinal symptoms.
Before you decide to take any herbal remedy or supplement, check with your doctor. Some supplements can have side effects or can interact with medications you’re already taking.
Recommended Reading: How To Get Rid Of Heartburn Immediately
Does Heartburn Impact Mental Health
Heartburn symptoms can be distressing and painful. Although heartburn does not cause mental health disorders, there does appear to be a link between heartburn and an increase in depression and anxiety .
Heartburn symptoms can include chest pains. Heartburn patients report an increase in anxiety when experiencing chest pains. Depression and stress are known to impact the gastrointestinal system, and therefore may make heartburn worse. Additionally, heartburn can cause disruptions in sleep and there is evidence that poor sleep impacts mental health as well.
What Are You Going To Do To Cure Your Heartburn
Are you simply going to treat the heartburn with short-term remedies or are you going to attack the real underlying problem that is driving your symptoms? I suspect that the larger long-term recommendations are a bit intimidating and you are not sure if you can make that type of commitment. You are not alone.
Here is an approach that may help you ease into building your path to relief and good health:
We know you can do this because so many others before you have succeeded. Dont delay, this is your disease and its your quality of life that is at risk. You can do this!
This article is from Reflux MD
Medical Resources Used for This Article
Also Check: What Heartburn Medication Is Causing Cancer
What Lifestyle Changes Help Heartburn
The best way to avoid heartburn discomfort is to prevent it. These lifestyle changes can make a big difference:
- Avoid trigger foods: Foods that promote heartburn include fried and fatty foods, caffeine, chocolate, spicy foods and carbonated beverages.
- Lose weight: Being overweight increases the likelihood that you’ll experience heartburn.
- Avoid eating late at night: Try to eat three hours before going to bed. At a minimum, you should wait at least one hour after eating.
- Elevate the bed: Physically lift the head of your bed about six to eight inches so you’re sleeping on an incline. If that’s not possible, use a wedge pillow for lift.
- Avoid alcohol and tobacco: These substances increase the chances of heartburn attacks.
- Wear looser clothing: Tight clothing can put pressure on your digestive system.
Mint To Get Rid Of Heartburn
Mint also has soothing properties that help cure heartburn naturally at home. Its cooling effects calms down the burning sensation and provide instant relief from heartburn. It also helps with improved digestion. You can chew a few mint leaves to avoid heartburn. You can also use it another way as well. Follow the given steps to use it:
- Take a glass of water and add a few mint leaves to it.
- Cover it with a lid and leave for half an hour.
- Strain it and drink it.
Read Also: What Can I Do To Reduce Heartburn
Marshmallow Can Heal Heartburn
The very popular herb marshmallow contains a mucilage property that helps coat your esophagus and stomach lining. This creates a protective barrier against stomach acid and you get rid of heartburn. What more, marshmallow can even repair the damage done to your food pipe and stomach lining by excessive acid.Make Marshmallow Infusion for Heartburn
- In the morning, drink this thick herbal infusion which would taste bitter-sweet.
Precaution: If you are taking some medication, consult your doctor before using any herb.
Try Baking Soda Or Apple Cider Vinegar
Some items in your kitchen can help to get rid of heartburn. Baking soda, for example, helps neutralize the acidity in your stomach and can temporarily alleviate acid reflux .ii Dissolve a teaspoon of baking soda in eight fluid ounces of water and sip slowly for temporary relief .ii Another remedy that some people swear by for reducing acid reflux is a teaspoon to a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar mixed into a glass of water. However, there is no clinical evidence that this works.iii
Don’t Miss: Can Ice Cream Cause Heartburn
Can Drinking Milk Help My Heartburn
You may have heard that drinking a glass of milk can relieve heartburn. While it’s true that milk can temporarily buffer stomach acid, nutrients in milk, particularly fat, may stimulate the stomach to produce more acid.
Even though milk might not be a great heartburn remedy, however, it’s a rich source of bone-building calcium. Try fat-free skim milk and don’t overdo it. Drink no more than 8 ounces of skim milk at a time — as a snack in between meals. Overfilling the stomach may increase heartburn.
What Exactly Is Heartburn
Heartburn, also described by experts as acid indigestion, is a medical condition characterized by a painful or burning sensation originating from the middle of the chest or the above part of the stomach. From there, the pain can spread upwards, usually toward ones throat and even jaw and arms. While the feeling sometimes goes away almost immediately, severe or persistent heartburn can easily stick around for several hours.
Read Also: How Do I Get Rid Of Heartburn Instantly
When Can I Expect Heartburn To End
Someday, scientists may very well invent a miracle medication that promises permanent pregnancy heartburn relief. Unfortunately, that hasnt happened yet.
So, if youre wondering how long you can expect to deal with heartburn while youre pregnant, it will probably be throughout your entire pregnancy.
However, just because theres no cure, that doesnt mean you cant find some relief in the meantime.
How To Get Rid Of Heartburn
June 27, 2018 By Sara
Here you finish your meal, and there you get that burning pain in your chest. This is the dreadful feeling of heartburn truly justifying its name. You feel as if your heart is burning along with that very painful feeling just behind your breastbone. And if you think you can get some relief by lying down or bending over, you are just making it worse.
Also Check: What Helps Heartburn Besides Medicine
/7add Turmeric To Your Food
ADD TURMERIC TO YOUR FOOD: You must add turmeric powder to your food to prevent stomach bloating. Turmeric helps in treating and preventing stomach bloating as an ingredient present in turmeric, which is also referred to as curcumin is a fat-soluble antioxidant. Turmeric also has healing properties and treats abdominal pain and bloating.
Mix Baking Soda With Water
You might have a heartburn remedy at hand in your kitchen without even knowing it. Baking soda can calm some episodes of heartburn by neutralizing your stomach acid.
To do this, dissolve a teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of water and drink it slowly. In fact, you should drink everything slowly when you have heartburn.
help relieve nausea, so some believe it may be worth trying for heartburn, too.
Consider adding grated or diced ginger root to your favorite stir-fry recipes, soups, and other foods. To make ginger tea, steep raw ginger root, dried ginger root, or ginger tea bags in boiling water.
Its probably best to avoid ginger ale, though. Carbonated beverages are a common heartburn trigger, and most brands of ginger ale are made with artificial flavoring rather than the real thing.
You May Like: Could Heartburn Be A Sign Of Early Pregnancy
And Those Carbonated Drinks Might Also Make Things Worse
No, we dont want to sound like an old cassette, telling you to avoid fizzy drinks like cola and soda in each article, but theres simply no denying that these things will do you more harm than good. Experts have demonstrated various times that when drinking carbonated water, colas and sodas, the lower esophageal sphincter is temporarily weakened, especially when compared to drinking plain water or fresh juice.
What Are The Risk Factors For Heartburn
There are several conditions that can trigger heartburn or make its symptoms even worse. While they usually vary among different individuals, there are some common triggers, for example:
- eating too much at a time and chewing too little
- enjoying a lot of spicy food
- eating foods that are very likely to trigger acid reflux
- sticking to a diet full of fatty meals
- lying down immediately after a big meal
- wearing tight clothing
certain medicines Seems too obvious? Youre right there are many more risk factors that can easily contribute to occasional or even persistent heartburn. To equip you with the knowledge you need to effectively treat its symptoms, weve compiled a list of the most effective natural heartburn cures out there.
You May Like: Natural Treatment For Heartburn And Indigestion
Maintain A Healthy Weight
If you are overweight, dropping a few pounds can help resolve heartburn symptoms not least because you are less likely to eat high-fat foods on a diet. Losing as little as 2.5 pounds can help reduce heartburn symptoms, according to David A. Johnson, MD, Professor of Medicine and Chief of Gastroenterology at Eastern Virginia School of Medicine.vii
How To Get Rid Of Heartburn Fast Without Medicine
Maybe you avoid chemical medicine for some reasons. We’re here to help you find natural ways on how to get rid of heartburn fast.
Another alternative you can find in your kitchen is ginger. Giger has been used as a folk remedy for since long time ago. It is believed to help to relieve nausea and heartburn too. You just simply add diced or grated ginger root to your stir-fry recipes, soups, or other foods. You can also make a cup of ginger tea.
But remember, it’s best to use pure ginger rather than carbonated beverages like ginger ale. Most brands of ginger ale are made with artificial flavoring.
5. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple Cider Vinegar is believed to neutralize stomach acid. The study proved that drinking diluted apple cider vinegar may help alleviate heartburn. If you want to try this remedy, dilute the apple cider vinegar with water, then drink it after having meals.
You May Like: Difference Between Heartburn And Heart Problems
You Should Avoid Foods And Drinks Such As:
- Alcohol Alcohol can relax your lower esophageal sphincter.
- Coffee and Orange Juice These two beverages can trigger or make heartburn worse.
- Fatty foods, fried foods, and acidic foods For example, oranges, grapefruits, and tomatoes can cause heartburn.
- Spicy foods Everyone is different, but spicy foods are known to give people heartburn.
- Sodas bubbly drinks can often give people heartburn.
Some people have gastroesophageal reflux disease, GERD, for short. This is chronic heartburn and a serious form of acid reflux, and heartburn is the symptom.
If you experience heartburn more than twice a week, a checkup with your doctor may be a good idea.
How To Get Rid Of Heartburn While Pregnant
Here are some easy tips you can try at home to get rid of heartburn and indigestion:
Well, the nights are difficult for new mums. From the acid flux sensation to the tiredness of the day, nights are no longer rest time.
So, we gathered some changes you could incorporate into your routine.
Right below, we explore how to get rid of acid reflux while pregnant.
First on the list is the best way to get rid of heartburn at night while pregnant.
You May Like: When To Take Heartburn Medicine
Consider Eating Less Chocolate
GERD patients are sometimes advised to avoid or limit their consumption of chocolate. However, the evidence for this recommendation is weak.
One small, uncontrolled study showed that consuming 4 ounces of chocolate syrup weakened the lower esophageal sphincter .
Another controlled study found that drinking a chocolate beverage increased the amount of acid in the esophagus, compared to a placebo .
Nevertheless, further studies are needed before any strong conclusions can be made about the effects of chocolate on reflux symptoms.
There is limited evidence that chocolate worsens reflux symptoms. A few studies suggest it might, but more research is needed.
Tips For Nighttime Heartburn Relief
1. Sleep on your left side.This position seems to help reduce nighttime heartburn symptoms, says David A. Johnson, MD, internal medicine division chief at Eastern Virginia School of Medicine, Norfolk, Va. To remember which side to sleep on, Johnson offers this memory trick: Right is wrong.
2. Lose weight, even a little. Heartburn often just gets worse as you gain weight, but losing as little as two and a half pounds can help reduce heartburn symptoms, Johnson says.
3. Sleep with your upper body elevated. When you lay flat in bed, your throat and stomach are basically at the same level, making it easy for stomach acids to flow up your esophagus, causing heartburn. You can elevate your body in two ways:
- Put the head of your bed on 4- to 6-inch blocks.
- Sleep on a wedge-shaped pillow that’s at least 6 to 10 inches thick on one end. Don’t substitute regular pillows they just raise your head, and not your entire upper body.
4. Wear loose-fitting clothes. Tight clothes, especially near your waist, can put pressure on your stomach, leading to heartburn symptoms.
6. Steer clear of late-night meals or big meals. Avoid eating meals two to three hours before bedtime to reduce stomach acid and allow the stomach to partially empty its contents before you sleep, suggests the American Gastroenterological Association. Because large meals put pressure on your stomach, try eating a smaller meal in the evening to help prevent nighttime heartburn symptoms.
Also Check: What Do You Do If You Have Heartburn