How Do I Treat Heartburn During Pregnancy
When youre growing a human being, you dont have time for that yucky acid reflux. But your usual go-to methods for treating it may not be safe for your unborn baby.
Instead, here are some of the safest and best ways to get rid of heartburn when youre pregnant:
Can Otc Antacids And Acid Reducers Help
Many over-the-counter and prescription drugs are available to help with symptom relief, including histamine-2 blockers , proton pump inhibitors and promotility agents, but many of these medications have unpleasant side effects and require daily usage in order to be most effective.
Fortunately, there are some natural remedies you can try at home.Your Boone ear, nose and throat specialist recommends these tips.
Spend Some Time In The Sun
Surprised? Spending time outdoors can actually boost your digestive process. Sun rays help the body produce vitamin D which further balances the production of over200 antimicrobial body chemicals that fight stomach irregularities and helps treat acid reflux. So, make sure to get your dose of sunlight and vitamin D.
Recommended Reading: What To Do For Constant Heartburn
Home Remedies For Heartburn Baking Soda
The first remedy in the list of home remedies for heartburn is baking soda. A full spoon of the baking soda can help to end the burning and gnawing sensation of heartburn which is caused by acid reflux. It is also a natural antacid that reduces the symptoms of acid indigestion and heartburn. It helps to counteract the stomach acid and push it back down into your stomach . So if you choose this remedy, you need to prepare:
- A half or a teaspoon of the baking soda
- A glass of water
Lets implement according to this recipe:
- Pour the prepared baking soda into a glass of water
- Mix well
- Do this maximum 3 times a day and continue for one week.
Pay attention: do not use too much salt because you can have nausea or swelling
What Medications Do I Take To Manage The Symptoms Of Gerd
Many over-the-counter and prescription medications relieve GERD. Most of OTC drugs come in prescription strength too. Your provider will give you a prescription for these stronger drugs if youre not getting relief from the OTC formulas.
The most common GERD medications:
- Antacids include Tums®, Rolaids®, Mylanta®, Riopan® and Maalox®.
- H-2 receptor blockers include Tagamet®, Pepcid AC®, Axid AR® and Zantac®.
- Proton pump inhibitors include Prevacid®, Prilosec®, Zegerid®, Nexium®, Protonix®, AcipHex® and Dexilant®.
- Baclofen is a prescription drug used to reduce the relaxation of the lower esophageal sphincter which allows acid backwash.
Don’t Miss: What Can I Eat If I Have Heartburn
Quick Relief For Heartburn
If you are experiencing heartburn, you may ease the problem by:
- Standing up straight: Lying down may put more pressure on the lower esophageal sphincter or LES. Standing up reduces this pressure and decreases the escape of acidic contents from the stomach upwards through the food pipe. This is the reason it is advised to not lie down or sleep right after eating.
- Drinking non-fat milk: Non-fat milk can act as a temporary barrier between the gut lining and the acidic stomach contents. This may provide relief in symptoms. Full fat milk should not be consumed for heartburn as it can aggravate acid reflux. Low-fat yogurt also provides a soothing effect in heartburn along with providing probiotics or good bacteria that aid digestion.
- Loosening up your clothing: Tight clothes can put pressure on the tummy causing acid reflux or heartburn
- Taking ginger: Ginger has several medicinal properties. It is anti-inflammatory and also helps in the digestion of food. Sipping some ginger tea may prevent and relieve heartburn
- Taking over the counter antacids: Antacids provide relief by neutralizing the acidic contents. They provide rapid relief from heartburn.
- Drinking dilute lemon water: A small amount of lemon juice mixed with water and honey can help ease the symptoms of heartburn.
Other medications for heartburn, including the H2 receptor blockers and proton pump inhibitors or PPI, may provide long term relief from heartburn.
Best Heartburn & Acid Reflux Medications In 2021
Heartburn is a condition that 60 million Americans experience at least once per month. The main causes of heartburn include acid reflux and gastroesophageal reflux disease , a chronic form of acid reflux. The best medication for heartburn includes classes of heartburn medications: antacids, histamine-2 blockers, and proton pump inhibitors .
To avoid these symptoms, you can take various kinds of medicationsâ from over-the-counter to prescription. To obtain access to some of these prescription forms of heartburn medication, consider signing up for Mira, an affordable alternative to health insurance that allows you to get up to 80% off on prescriptions.
Read Also: Why Do I Have Heartburn When I Lay Down
What Lifestyle Changes Help Heartburn
The best way to avoid heartburn discomfort is to prevent it. These lifestyle changes can make a big difference:
- Avoid trigger foods: Foods that promote heartburn include fried and fatty foods, caffeine, chocolate, spicy foods and carbonated beverages.
- Lose weight: Being overweight increases the likelihood that you’ll experience heartburn.
- Avoid eating late at night: Try to eat three hours before going to bed. At a minimum, you should wait at least one hour after eating.
- Elevate the bed: Physically lift the head of your bed about six to eight inches so you’re sleeping on an incline. If that’s not possible, use a wedge pillow for lift.
- Avoid alcohol and tobacco: These substances increase the chances of heartburn attacks.
- Wear looser clothing: Tight clothing can put pressure on your digestive system.
Heartburn With Back Pain Relief
In order for you to reduce as much as possible all reflux-related symptoms, things to do are pretty much the same.
In fact, we now understand that upper and/or mid-back pain is just another possible symptom of the underlying disease.
Thats why you must not consider them as a separate symptom, because they are part of the same big series of symptoms you can control by working well on the right aspects.
Watch The Video To Learn How To Get Rid Of Heartburn & Reflux In 48 Hours Or Less!
Important: Keep watching it until the button appears!!!
So, you must work on the three pillars:
- eating habits
- lifestyle habits
- natural remedies, that are scientifically proven to work
To make things complete, we strongly invite you to read and check the last paragraph What To Do Next: youll find a collection of very detailed programs that show you how to combine everything and pick the best and most complete solution for your case.
For what concerns more specifically back pain, we want to suggest a few carefully selected and proven additional programs.
You can integrate them into your current program, even though they are not specifically designed for people who suffer from acid reflux and heartburn with back pain.
Recommended Reading: What Can I Take For Heartburn While Pregnant
Can Drinking Milk Help My Heartburn
You may have heard that drinking a glass of milk can relieve heartburn. While its true that milk can temporarily buffer stomach acid, nutrients in milk, particularly fat, may stimulate the stomach to produce more acid.
Even though milk might not be a great heartburn remedy, however, its a rich source of bone-building calcium. Try fat-free skim milk and dont overdo it. Drink no more than 8 ounces of skim milk at a time as a snack in between meals. Overfilling the stomach may increase heartburn.
Read Also: How To Make Heartburn Go Away Home Remedies
Natural Remedies For Acid Reflux
If youve experienced the occasional bout of heartburn, you know how uncomfortable the painful burning sensation can be. Maybe you want to go all-natural or you want to treat heartburn symptoms that don’t respond to medication. If this describes your situation, consider turning to diet and lifestyle modifications, as well as natural remedies to relieve your symptoms.
Heartburn may be caused by the backflow of your stomach contents into your esophagus. The esophagus is the tube that transports food to your stomach. When you have backflow from your stomach, the medical condition is called acid reflux. Your pain may also be caused by a more severe or chronic form of reflux called gastroesophageal reflux disease .
This article will look at several acid reflux remedies and lifestyle modifications that may help.
Verywell / Emily Roberts
Read Also: How To Prevent Heartburn At Night
When Can I Expect Heartburn To End
Someday, scientists may very well invent a miracle medication that promises permanent pregnancy heartburn relief. Unfortunately, that hasnt happened yet.
So, if youre wondering how long you can expect to deal with heartburn while youre pregnant, it will probably be throughout your entire pregnancy.
However, just because theres no cure, that doesnt mean you cant find some relief in the meantime.
Adding Ginger Into The Diet
Some research suggests that ginger may help with nausea, vomiting, and other symptoms. However, the limited quality of included evidence means that more research is necessary to confirm these benefits.
Based on the existing evidence, researchers suggest a daily dose of of ginger. It is possible that a higher intake could have adverse effects.Ginger is an easy ingredient to incorporate into the diet. People can try:
- adding it to hot water to make ginger tea
- including it in a stir-fry
- boiling it in a soup
- grating it raw onto salads or cereals
Individuals who dislike the taste of ginger can mask it by including ginger in recipes with other strong flavors.
You May Like: How To Get Heartburn To Go Away
The Way Of Approach For Reducing Stomach Acidity
- To 1 glass cold water add the ACVmix quickly and let it go down the hatch!
- A couple of big burps and you are better. Not the most pleasant taste but its worth it and you get used to it.
- You need to do this before each meal and before bedtime.
- On the other hand, you can also do this or 2-3 times during the day.
- If you feel your symptoms of heartburn worsen, stop using it.
- However, a point often overlooked that must be remembered is that dont take this liquid in large proportions as it significantly increases symptoms of acid reflux.
You May Like: Apple Cider Vinegar Heartburn Remedy
Best Home Remedies For Heartburn Relief :
Tums and Rolaids ginger tea for heartburn relief during pregnancy milk with meals to balance stomach acid levels drinking water between meals, avoid eating before bedtime & wait at least three hours after a meal before going to sleep. eat smaller portions more frequently instead of large meals. Stop eating before you feel full and wait at least three hours after a meal to go to sleep . apple cider vinegar for heartburn relief during pregnancy milk with meals helps balance stomach acid levels and prevent or treat baby reflux probiotics for heartburn relief during pregnancy. Yogurt with live cultures can help ease symptoms of acid reflux, too . honey before bedtime to soothe heartburn symptoms and stomach upset during pregnancy. warm water with lemon juice for heartburn relief during pregnancy avoid eating spicy foods, potato chips, chocolate & coffee eat smaller portions more frequently instead of large meals. Stop eating before you feel full and wait at least three hours after a meal to go to sleep . probiotics for heartburn relief during pregnancy ginger tea for heartburn relief during pregnancy honey before bedtime to soothe heartburn symptoms and stomach upset during pregnancy. Calcium carbonate, the main active ingredient in Tums and Rolaids, increases levels of calcium and magnesium in your body. This decreases the acidity level of your stomach contents . They also raise alkaline levels to help soothe heartburn symptoms caused by stomach acid.
Recommended Reading: Is Acid Reflux The Same As Heartburn
Mix Baking Soda And Water
Some OTC antacids, like Alka-Seltzer, contain baking soda .
Baking soda works to neutralize stomach acid and temporarily relieve some symptoms of indigestion and acid reflux. Just add ½ teaspoon to four ounces of water and drink the solution.
But be careful not to use too much. One study found that adults should have no more than seven ½ teaspoons of baking soda in one day, and no more than three ½ teaspoons if over the age of 60.
Antacids H2 Blockers Ppis Our Pharmacists Explain The Options
Fortunately, pharmacies stock plenty of safe, effective remedies so many, in fact, that it can be confusing trying to figure out which one is right for you. So, we asked some pharmacists for help. Heres a rundown on the three classes of heartburn remedies, courtesy of The Portland Clinic pharmacy team.
Antacids such as Tums, Rolaids, Maalox and Mylanta are the fastest-acting heartburn relievers. They take effect in less than five minutes by quickly neutralizing acid in the stomach. For mild heartburn after a meal, antacids offer quick relief that lasts about 20-30 minutes. They come in a variety of strengths, so check labels for dosing information. In general, you shouldnt use antacids more than four times a day. If you find yourself reaching for them frequently, it might be time to try a different one or to switch to one of the stronger remedies.
Pepcid, Tagamet and Zantac are some of the more well-known H2 blockers, so called because they block a chemical called histamine that prompts the stomach to make acid. They take longer than antacids to bring relief about 30-45 minutes but the relief lasts 4-10 hours. H2 blockers can be used to relieve mild or moderate heartburn, or to prevent it when you anticipate heartburn . You also can combine H2 blockers with antacids for quicker relief. Just dont take H2 blockers more than twice a day, or for more than two weeks if you use them regularly.
Proton pump inhibitors
Don’t Miss: Why Does Stress Cause Heartburn
A Maintain A Healthy Body Weight
Do you know your body mass index ? If not, start now by entering your weight and height into a BMI calculator to use the NIH calculator and find your current BMI.
A healthy BMI is between 19 and 25, but anyone with a compromised LES should not be at the high end of normal. We recommend a BMI of 24 or less. Why is this important? We wrote a cornerstone article titled How is your excess weight destroying your LES , which we highly recommend you read if you have a BMI greater than 24.
This excess weight does two things that will increase your GERD symptoms. First, it distends the stomach, pulling down on the LES and stretching it out. Over a long-term, this will reduce the effectiveness of the LES to act as an effective barrier between the stomach and the oesophagus.
Second, it puts added pressure on the diaphragm, potentially pushing stomach content into the esophagus. Many research studies have proven that a reduction in BMI will reduce GERD symptoms. In an NIH published paper researchers concluded the following:
In summary, our findings suggest that, beyond being overweight or obese, the risk of GERD symptoms rises progressively with increasing BMI, even among normal weight individuals. This appears true for all degrees of symptom severity and duration, as well as for nocturnal symptoms. Notably, weight loss was associated with a decreased risk of symptoms.
Heartburn And Back Pain
Some digestive disorders, including heartburn due to acid reflux, can determine back pain.
This is possible because of two reasons:
- the digestive disorder is able to directly cause a referred back pain
- the digestive disorder is somewhat related to another cause, the one thats actually causing the back pain
There are several digestive disorders able to cause referred back pain: peptic ulcer is perhaps the most significant example.
In all cases where there is a digestive disorder, its essential to know what it is and especially if may affect the back directly or not.
Not only digestive disorders can determine heartburn with back pain.
In fact, also occasional indigestion, or transient episodes, can cause a referred back pain.
It has been noted that a person with indigestion is more likely to report mid-back pain.
Please note the importance of the affected body part: mid-back its just one of the most common areas of pain localization for people suffering from acid reflux and subsequent heartburn.
This is the reason why its important to know this thing: even the specific pain point reported can help you better understand the real situation.
You May Like: Why Is Heartburn Worse At Night