What Should You Know About Heartburn
Heartburn is a symptom that feels like a burning in your chest, and is a symptom of acid reflux .
Do most people get heartburn?
Heartburn is more common during pregnancy. Most people get heartburn after meals, but can also awaken people while they are sleeping. People also may experience heartburn after eating specific foods or drinking certain beverages.
What can heartburn be a sign or symptom of?
How can you tell if you are having a heart attack or heartburn?
- If you think that you are having a heart attack, call 911 immediately to save your life.
- A heart attack and heartburn can have the same symptoms, for example, be the same, for example, heartburn is a symptom of another disease or condition, for example, chest pain, shortness of breath, and nausea and vomiting.
- Heart attack signs and symptoms that are not the same as in heartburn include, for example, dizziness, toothache, and headache while heartburn symptoms include problems swallowing, persistant sore throat, hoarseness, laryngitis or reflux laryngitis.
How can you get rid of heartburn?
Heartburn can be relieved and cured for many people with lifestyle changes, for example,
- eat a healthy diet,
Also Check: Why Do I Have Heartburn When I Lay Down
How To Relieve Heartburn Naturally
Check out these simple steps you can take to ease your heartburn symptoms.
1. Rethink Your Drink
Ginger Mint Detox Smoothie
Unfortunately for coffee lovers, that morning cup of joe could be the culprit behind your heartburn.
Too much caffeine can cause your lower esophageal sphincter to relax, which creates the perfect window of opportunity for stomach acid to splash back up into the esophagus and cause those negative heartburn symptoms.
Although I dont recommend caffeine intake in general, if you need to get your coffee fix, its best to opt for a darker roast or a brew thats lower in acidity. is also a good alternative because the amount of acid is reduced during processing.
Or, try mixing up your morning by trading your cup of coffee for some herbal tea. Free of caffeine, tea generally has a calming effect on the stomach and is much less irritating than coffee.
If tea doesnt strike your fancy, why not wake up with a refreshing green smoothie like this one, or one of these smoothie bowls? Green smoothies can give your fiber intake a big bump, which will help keep your digestive system moving and prevent the recurrence of acid reflux and heartburn.
Green smoothies also help alkalize your blood, helping your red blood cells to easily transport oxygen throughout the body and allowing your cells to produce more energy. This means you wont even need to get your caffeine fix to feel energized.
2. Switch Your Sleep Routine
3. Help Your Body Digest
4. Chew Some Gum
Finding Heartburn Relief At Home
A few simple strategies can help soothe the burn of heartburn:
- Watch what you eat. Avoid specific foods that trigger your heartburn, but also watch out for peppermint, caffeine, sodas, chocolate, citrus fruits and juices, tomatoes, onions, and high-fat foods. Eat more fiber to keep your digestive tract moving and healthy. Also, reduce your portion sizes. Try eating five or six small meals a day, rather than three big ones. Eating too much at once is a big heartburn trigger.
- Watch when you eat. Push away the plate at least two or three hours before bedtime so your stomach has a chance to empty before you lie down.
- Watch how you eat. Eat slowly, taking smaller bites.
- Lose weight. Excess abdominal fat can press against the stomach, forcing acids up into the esophagus. Follow a diet and exercise program to shed extra pounds.
- Keep a diary. Write down what you’ve eaten and when your heartburn symptoms occur so you can pinpoint which foods are your triggers and avoid them.
- Toss the cigarettes.Smoking can reduce the effectiveness of the muscle that keeps acids in the stomach. For this, and so many other health reasons, it’s always the perfect time to quit.
- Loosen your belt. Ditch the skin-tight jeans. Tight clothes put added pressure on the abdomen.
- Tilt up. Put wood blocks under your bed to raise the head about 6 inches. Don’t bother raising your pillows, though — it’s not effective for heartburn.
You May Like: Why Do I Keep Getting Heartburn After I Eat
Types Of Natural Antacids Including Homemade Antacids
What are the types of natural alternatives to antacids that you can use to treat acid reflux pain and discomfort? Here are a few remedies that have an antacid effect that many people have found effective.
- Yogurt as a natural antacid. Raw, natural yogurt contains healthy bacteria that can improve your digestive health. Doctors say that the beneficial enzymes in raw yogurt help to improve the microflora of the gut. Yogurt is also a good source of calcium which has been connected with improvement in reflux symptoms.
- Baking soda. Baking soda is a tried and tested method to relieve reflux symptoms and stop a burning feeling in your chest. Baking soda neutralizes stomach acid to prevent heartburn pain and discomfort.
- Ginger. Ginger is a natural anti-inflammatory ingredient that can help to boost your digestion and stop indigestion. Doctors from Harvard Health say that ginger has been used for centuries as a natural heartburn remedy.4
- Aloe vera. Another natural soothing remedy that can be used as a burning throat remedy is aloe vera. Aloe vera juice not only helps to relieve irritation in your food pipe, it can improve your digestion and help your stomach work better.
- Apple cider vinegar. One natural remedy you can drink for heartburn is diluted apple cider vinegar. Apple cider vinegar also contains probiotics, and there is anecdotal evidence that regularly drinking apple cider vinegar can help to reduce heartburn symptoms.
When To Get Medical Help
See your midwife or GP if you need help managing your symptoms or if changes to your diet and lifestyle do not work. They may recommend medicine to ease your symptoms.
You should also see your midwife or GP if you have any of the following:
- difficulty eating or keeping food down
- weight loss
- stomach pains
Your midwife or GP may ask about your symptoms and examine you by pressing gently on different areas of your chest and stomach to see whether its painful.
Dont Miss: Best Natural Way To Get Rid Of Heartburn
Also Check: How To Relieve Severe Heartburn Fast
Get Rid Of Heartburn With These Natural Fixes
You feel it coming on, that tell-tale burning sensation in your chest. Sitting, standing, lying down its all uncomfortable, and you need a solution to your indigestion woes.
Heartburn happens when stomach acid creeps up into your esophagus, and its a problem many of us have dealt with. You might reach for over-the-counter antacids and medications, but all too often those dont seem to provide enough relief. Luckily, you probably already have several natural, home remedies for heartburn in your pantry. These can be even more effective than antacids.
Home Remedies For Heartburn Slippery Elm
For many centuries, slippery elm has been used to treat many diseases including heartburn. It will help your mucus lining in the stomach to thicken therefore, it can create the effective barrier against the acid. If you want to implement this remedy, you ought to prepare:
- Slippery elm powder
Here is the recipe you can follow:
- Take a teaspoon of slippery elm powder
- Add to a cup of hot water
- Let it cool
- Drink it 2 or 3 times during a day daily after meals or before bedtime till your heartburn is taken away.
Besides, you also take slippery elm capsules every day. And each day, we take them 3 or 4 times. Remember that you just need to take the capsules with a full glass of water in about 1 or 2 months.
9. Home Remedies For Heartburn Cabbage Juice
One of the effective home remedies for heartburn is cabbage juice. Cabbage juice contains anti-inflammatory properties which can alleviate several types of digestive problems which include heartburn. Thus, before doing this remedy, you need to prepare these things:
Now lets do this remedy:
- Take a fresh cabbage and two carrots
- Grind them in a blender in order to take the juice
- Drink one and a half cup of the juice only in the morning when there is nothing on your stomach. You can do this daily until you dont have heartburn anymore.
10. Home Remedies For Heartburn Cinnamon
- Add a teaspoon of cinnamon into a cup of boiling water
- Allow it to steep
- Drink it twice daily until your heartburn is gone.
- Peppermint oil
- Cold water
Don’t Miss: What Foods Help Heartburn Go Away
Simple Home Remedies To Get Rid Of Heartburn Without Medications
If you suffer from heartburn, then you are aware of the discomfort and the burning sensation that goes along with it. The burning sensation in your throat and chest from the heartburn is unpleasant and can be triggered by many types of foods especially spicy, acidic or fatty foods. Even people who suffer from GERD, or gastroesophageal reflux disease, which is a chronic condition that causes heartburn, know well the crushing chest pain followed by the burning sensation in their throats. Many people often resort to taking medication to get relief from heartburn. However, the fact is that while these drugs can provide you with temporary relief, they can cause potential harm in the long run. Instead of resorting to taking medications, you can actually turn to some natural home remedies to deal with heartburn. So how to get rid of heartburn without medications? Lets find out.
Does Milk Help Heartburn
When looking for home remedies for heartburn, many people ask if milk helps heartburn symptoms. According to Dr. Minesh Khatri on WebMD, milk can help some symptoms of heartburn but aggravate others.15
For example, Dr. Khatri says that milk can act as a temporary buffer to stomach acid. This can have an anti-acid effect and temporarily stop burning chest pains. Milk also contains calcium which is important for healthy bones and muscle development. However, the fat content of milk can cause the stomach to produce more acid and make the symptoms of acid reflux worse.
If you want to try milk as a natural antacid for acid reflux, Dr. Khatri says you can try drinking a glass of fat-free skim milk as a snack between meals but dont overdo it as overfilling your stomach may increase heartburn.
Don’t Miss: Best Diet To Avoid Heartburn
Try Taking Deglycyrrhizinated Licorice
DGL works to treat acid reflux because it helps to reduce inflammation in your esophagus.
Inflammation, a reaction caused by your immune system, can be helpful when you need to heal a wound or fight an infection, but it can also worsen health problems like acid reflux for some people. This is because your immune system releases inflammatory cells called cytokines that can damage the lining of your esophagus.
Although DGL has been proven to work when combined with other acid reflux treatments, more research is needed to see how it works on its own.
DGL generally comes as a chewable tablet and can come in multiple flavors for people who donât like the taste of licorice. To use DGL for acid reflux, you should take one 400 mg tablet 20 minutes before you eat a meal or 20 minutes before going to bed if you have nighttime symptoms.
Other herbal remedies that may also help with acid reflux include:
What Medications Can I Take For Heartburn During Pregnancy
Its important to be extremely careful about the medications you take when pregnant.
For heartburn relief, over-the-counter antacids are all considered safe medications to use during pregnancy.
As always, consult with your provider about any medications youre taking even if theyre considered safe.
If you experience any unusual symptoms while taking an over-the-counter medication, call your doctor immediately.
You May Like: Why Do I Always Have Bad Heartburn
Home Remedies For Heartburn Chamomile Tea
Chamomile can reduce the inflammation in the stomach. In addition, it can relieve stress and help you sleep well. Chamomile also soothes gastrointestinal irritation and reduces gastric acidity, thereby helping you get relief from the heartburn. In order to make this remedy, you had better prepare these ingredients:
- A teaspoon of dried chamomile flower petals
- A strainer
- Pour the tea into a glass
- Add honey or lemon if you want
- Do this 2 or 3 times during a day and repeat daily till your heartburn is taken away.
Incredible Home Remedies For Heartburn And Indigestion That Will Blow Your Mind
After eating a great meal, the last thing you want to think about is heartburn and indigestion. As a passionate foodie, I understand that certain meals or foods can trigger a bout of heartburn and/or indigestion. Thats why Ive discovered home remedies for heartburn and indigestion so that you can enjoy your food with the peace of mind that any heartburn or indigestion will be squandered.
Also Check: Can Constipation Cause Acid Reflux And Heartburn
Side Effects From Misuse
Many of the side effects of antacids come from not taking them as directed.
Many antacids including Maalox, Mylanta, Rolaids and Tums contain calcium. If you take too much or take them for longer than directed, you could get an overdose of calcium. Too much calcium can cause:
Excess calcium can also lead to alkalosis. In this condition, your body doesnt make enough acid to function properly.
If you feel like you need to use a lot of an antacid for relief, that might be a sign of another condition. If youve taken an antacid according to the directions and havent gotten relief, talk to your doctor.
Antacids can interfere with the function of other drugs. If you take other medications, check with your doctor or pharmacist before using antacids.
Some antacids, such as Alka-Seltzer, contain aspirin. The Food and Drug Administration issued a safety alert about this type of antacid in June 2016. This alert was issued because of reports of serious bleeding related to aspirin-containing antacids.
If you take another medication that increases your risk of bleeding, such as an anticoagulant or antiplatelet drug, you shouldnt take these antacids.
Be sure to talk to your doctor before taking aspirin-containing antacids if you:
Heartburn Gerd And Acid Reflux During Pregnancy
Pregnancy can put extra pressure on the muscles in the stomach and frequently cause symptoms of acid reflux while pregnant. Also, the same foods that cause heartburn in any person affect pregnant women just as much.
According to Dr. John Cunha on MedicineNet, some ways to alleviate heartburn symptoms during pregnancy include some of the following:16
- Raise the head end of your bed by 6 to 8 inches. This helps to take the pressure off your stomach and prevents heartburn in the morning.
- Lay on your left side while sleeping as this makes it harder for stomach juices to escape into your esophagus.
- Dont bend over after eating.
- Avoid foods that increase heartburn symptoms and consume more foods that prevent excess stomach acid.
- Chewing gum can help relieve heartburn symptoms during pregnancy.
Also Check: Things To Eat To Get Rid Of Heartburn
Elevate Your Upper Body
Lying down can make heartburn worse. When it comes time for bed, adjust your sleeping surface to raise your upper body.
According to the Mayo Clinic, lifting your head with extra pillows isnt usually enough. Instead, the goal is to elevate your body from the waist up.
If you have an adjustable bed, set it at a suitable angle to provide relief. If your bed isnt adjustable, you can change the angle of your sleeping surface by using a wedge pillow.
When Should I Talk To My Doctor
If you have heartburn that often wakes you up at night, returns as soon as your antacid wears off, or creates other symptoms , you may have a more serious problem that requires attention.
Your doctor may diagnose you with GERD. This means that your heartburn needs to be controlled to protect you from complications such as damage to the esophagus.
Your doctor may prescribe certain acid-reducing medications to reduce your symptoms. Research indicates that medications called H2 blockers, which help block the production of acid, appear to be safe.
Another type of medication, called proton pump inhibitors, is used for people with heartburn that doesnt respond to other treatments.
If youre concerned about the effects of medications, be sure to talk to your doctor. Doctors can help you control your symptoms while keeping your unborn child safe.
You May Like: What Can I Use To Get Rid Of Heartburn
Recommended Reading: What Can Pregnant People Take For Heartburn
Eat A Banana Or An Apple
Bananas contain natural antacids that can act as a buffer against acid reflux. If you want to try out the simplest home remedies for heartburn first, try letting a few bananas ripen up nicely and eating one every day. Another option is to try an apple a day. Slice one up and eat it a couple of hours before bedtime to relieve or prevent discomfort.
How What And When
Watch how you eat: Dont inhale giant mouthfuls of food. Take smaller bites and eat slowly, allowing your stomach time to digest and without giving it an excuse to pump out excess acid.
Watch what you eat: Youre probably aware that specific foods trigger heartburn, usually foods high in acid or spicy foods. Avoid these as best you can to ward off
Watch when you eat: Dont eat within 3-4 hours before bed. Lying down puts more pressure on your LES and increases the likelihood of acid sneaking through.
Also Check: How Long Can Heartburn Last